Frequently Asked Questions

Does OTAC maintain a listing of employment opportunities?

Some employers looking to fill open occupational therapy positions advertise on the OTAC website. Visit our employment listing for an up-to-date list of advertising employers. 

How do I become a member of OTAC?

From the Membership Menu, click Join/Renew and select your OT membership type (OT, OTA, OTS, Retired OT) .

Does Colorado have Licensure?

Yes, Occupational Therapists in Colorado have been licensed since June 2014. Licensure does include Occupational Therapy Assistants at this time. This is a state law which stipulates that all occupational therapy services provided to the public in Colorado must be provided and/or supervised by Occupational Therapists who are licensed by the State of Colorado. A list of all licensed Occupational Therapists will be maintained by the state. To meet the Licensure requirements three criteria must be met. Those criterions are:

The history of licensure of Occupational Therapy in Colorado?

Licensure has a historical basis, as Colorado has been a national leader, as a deregulated state, through our former Governor Dick Lamm. The Governor and this state have set up a Sunrise and Sunset Review Process, which is to promote less regulation and thereby regulatory agencies by the state. The Sunrise Review Process includes an extensive application to the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) for consideration of all regulatory agencies, such as Occupational Therapy Licensure. The application for licensure was unsuccessful in four attempts in 1987, 1992, 1995, and more recently in 2006. A Trade Deception Act passed in 1996, with an updated language bill passing in 2002. In our last effort, 2008, a registration bill was passed as The Occupational Therapy Practice Act 2008, in which all occupational therapists (not occupational therapy assistants) in Colorado must be registered by the DORA. The law indicated registration requirements, the maintenance of a current list of registered occupational therapists, and a process for handling consumer complaints completed by a Director at DORA. The details of this law are described on previous web pages.  As of June 2014 all OTs and OTAs in Colorado are licensed.

Additionally, the state of Colorado has a Sunset Review Process. This includes a periodic resubmission process to DORA to demonstrate a continued need for a regulatory agency. For this bill, it was reviewed in the year 2013.

Many of the current and previous OTAC Board Members were involved in this process. AOTA was supportive and highly involved in this effort as well. There were extensive resources including financial and personal involvement on the part of the memberships involved in this attempt. It was the recommendation of DORA, since there was no public harm reported or proven by the Occupational Therapy Practitioners in this state to warrant Occupational Therapists and/or Occupational Therapy Assistants to be licensed., that we pursue Registration. Registration is similar to Licensure in that it is a law, and there is a state Practice Act; it is different in that there is not a regulatory board, but a Director, and the level of sanctions for unscrupulous practice are not as many. Practicing without active Licensure is a Class 2 Misdemeanor for the first offense, a Class 1 Misdemeanor for subsequent offenses. The State of CO is committed to the licensure process in Colorado. 

What are the requirements to work in Colorado's public schools as an OT?

To work as a related service professional in Colorado's public schools, you must maintain current certification by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT), AND you must have a Special Services License through the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). CDE oversees credentialing for teachers, administrative services, and special service personnel (e.g; OTs) who work in Colorado's schools. To contact the licensing office at the Colorado Department of Education, click on

If I received my OT training in another country, can I practice in Colorado?

Yes, if you meet the above criterions which include graduation from an accredited program, certification eligibility and initial certification by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Apply for Licensure at DORA’s website, For more information about how to become credentialed by NBCOT, visit 

Does OTAC maintain a listing of fieldwork sites?

No. We are not able to maintain an up-to-date listing of this sort. To explore fieldwork opportunities, you must contact potential fieldwork sites directly. 

How do I get involved with OTAC?

We would love to have your involvement! There are many roles that people can fill within the association based on interests and availability. Involvement may range from serving on the board to working as a committee member on a specific project. All levels of experience are welcome. To find out more, contact us at OTAC or visit the Volunteer Opportunities page.